Bring a bit of nature into your living space — and purify your air.
Bringing a bit of nature into your home does more than brighten the atmosphere. Introducing houseplants into various rooms in the house can help reduce the chance of getting seasonal sicknesses (such as the common cold), remove airborne contaminants (volatile organic compounds [or VOCs]), reduce the chance of headaches, lift your mood, decrease your blood pressure, reduce allergies, improve sleep and much more.
The 20 plants listed below are specifically known for their air purifying properties. And while an open window may feel like all the fresh air you need, did you know that everything from toilet paper to common household cleaners can contain chemicals and release toxins like formaldehyde? Or that VOCs like benzene can be released into the air by everything from the paint on your walls, to the printed material found in your home?
So why not breathe a bit easier and enjoy the beauty of a new houseplant at the same time?
(All plants listed will clear CO2 and may clear more VOCs than noted.)
1. Golden pothos (Scindapsus aures): Clears formaldehyde and other VOCs.
(image: Chayatorn Laorattanavech/Shutterstock.com)
2. Ficus alii (Ficus maeleilandii alii): Good general air purifier.
(image: Marco Rullkoetter/Shutterstock.com)
3. Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum): Clears benzene, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide and xylene.
4. Lady Palm (Rhapis Excelsa): Good general air purifier.
(image: Eric in SF/Wikimedia Commons)
5. Snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata ‘Laurentii’): Clears formaldehyde.
6. Aloe: Clears formaldehyde and benzene.
7. Moth Orchid (Phalaenopsis): Clears formaldehyde.
8. Dwarf/Pygmy Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii): Clears formaldehyde and xylene.
(image: somyot pattana/Shutterstock.com)
9. Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema Crispum ‘Deborah’): Clears air pollutants and toxins.
(image: Forest & Kim Starr/Wikimedia Commons)
10. Chrysanthemum (Chrysantheium morifolium): Clears benzene.
11. Gerber daisy (Gerbera jamesonii): Clears trichloroethylene and benzene.
12. Red-edged dracaena (Dracaena marginata): Clears xylene, trichloroethylene and formaldehyde.
13. Weeping fig (Ficus benjamina): Clears formaldehyde, benzene and trichloroethylene
14. English ivy (Hedera helix): Clears airborne fecal-matter particles.
(image: Tyler McKay/Shutterstock.com)
15. Azalea (Rhododendron simsii): Clears formaldehyde.
16. Heart leaf philodendron (Philodendron oxycardium): Clears formaldehyde and many other air pollutants.
17. Warneck dracaena (Dracaena deremensis ‘Warneckii’): Clears pollutants such as those associated with varnishes and oils.
(image: Quang nguyen vinh/Shutterstock.com)
18. Boston Fern (Nephrolepis exaltata Bostoniensis): Clears formaldehyde.
(image: KARI K/Shustterstock.com)
19. Bamboo palm (Chamaedorea sefritzii): Clears benzene, trichloroethylene and formaldehyde.
20. Peace lily (Spathiphyllum): Clears formaldehyde, benzene, trichloroethylene, toluene and xylene.
(image: David Pegzlz/Shutterstock.com)
This is in my opinion the best article on Ashtar Command I have read so far. Anything I have written pales in comparison with the scientific and spiritual usefulness of the material presented in this article. Bravo!!!!!! Well accomplished!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks alot, Darth Vindex (cool name by the way). I am going to get some of these plants right away while they are cheap in the summer grow season.
yes, i agree Kelly plants clean just about anything ..The most common substance i usually encounter is formaldehyde i smell this substance in clothing stores i know its in spray cans but i noticed within the last few years the industry is phasing out all carcinogenic substance in everything we buy . But Monsanto keeps planting hybrid plants and wind can spread these plants all over the soil and water. Monsanto has planted many of its hybrid plants without telling people what they are and now we have many varieties of these plants all over the place . i remember Monsanto representatives in an interview telling consumers about the climate changes and why they created a tougher variety of plants to survive the harsh conditions without needing so much water but i believe there is some good out there because if remember some organizations collecting Non - GEM seeds and have kept them in vaults .Monsanto goes back decades i love to take walks out in the forest and parks but i notice we have to protect ourselves against lime disease and the Nile Virus .. I never encountered such things when i was in the forest . i use to pick flowers and my mother use some of these plants to make tea or medicines .Whenever i go under a tree i feel the healing energies there and it provides protection from the sun. When i look at my third eye the first color i see is green ..Thank You for sharing this information Kelly ...
Good points, Hellen, you know your stuff... I love that you know the herb lore, what a gift to pass to your family- maybe you could post some info for us? Would like to hear more about your nature experiences :-)
Dear Hellen we really don't need protection from the Sun...That is an old concept taught to us from those that didn't want us to find the benefits of being in contact with the Sun, on our skin, or doing sun gazing, or drinking sunbathed water...The Sun is our friend and no one gets cancer from the sun but they do from products they sell you to prevent you from getting a sun tan...We have been so brainwashed that we believe everything we are told by doctors and anyone in any position of power or authority...It is time to find the truth...I have been doing Sun gazing since 2009 and I am under the Sun for hours at any time of the day and I have nothing gone wrong, on the contrary I am healthier than ever...I am stronger, I don't need to eat as much...(The Sun is nourishing)...I can drive looking straight at the Sun and can still see the car in front of me...I see the tree auras...The Sun listens when you talk to Him/Her (Helios and Vesta)... Through the Sun we get Codes and Frequencies that will help us raise our vibrations and the Sun will give us the energy we need so we don't get sick...I have not been sick, with not even a cold for years now...The Sun is a portal to other dimensions...and so many positive things about the Sun I cannot name them all here...Many of the old ideas being taught to humanity are fear based...like most of everything being given to us...The whole population of earth is being manipulated and controlled under false pretenses...We have been lied to in almost every aspect of our lives...Blessings...
This message is from 2915 and I learn many things about the Sun and its healing qualities and I don't use suntan products never have they one of most poisonous products on the planet. Nature always to our vibrations and frequencies and the sun makes our uplifts our spirits and when one looks at the sun for longer periods it has many colors like the rainbow. Everything in the natural environment has auras I see sometimes see the auras in the upper of the head. A few years ago I came across Emery Smith talking about beings who live on the planet of the sun and he mentions the environment there is more tropical and I from Steve DeWhit' that the planet Venus is another tropical paradise when someone sees tanned off-world beings they are from types of environments. Helios and Vesta are twin flames? yes, human DNA has Codes and frequencies. Thank You for sharning Amparo Alvarez.
Heehee, I got that... Thank you for reading, Mikail. The plants are pretty aren't they?
Thanks for sharing !