Toltecs

The Toltecs

The Rise of an Empire

ruinas.jpgThe Toltec Empire appeared in the Central Mexico area in the 10th century AD, when they established their central city of Tula. It is believed that the Toltecs were refugees from the northern Teotihuac�n culture and migrated after its fall in 700 AD.

Little is known directly about the Toltecs because the Aztecs plundered the Tula ruins for building materials for their nearby capital, destroying most of the historical evidence that remained. Much of what we know about the Toltecs comes from legends carried on about them by later cultures.

The Toltec Empire was the first of the extreme militaristic cultures in the region that used their might to dominate their neighbors, a trend associated with the later cultures in the region, especially the Aztecs. Eventually the empire spread across most of Mexico, Guatemala, and as far south as the Yucatan, as they conquered lands previously controlled by the Mayans.

Art and Entertainment

relief.jpg (29696 bytes)The Toltec Empire and leaders created an unmatched mystique in the minds of the Central American people. The Toltec leaders were thought of as being alongside deities. Later cultures often revered them and copied their legends, art, buildings and religion. Many future rulers of other cultures, including Mayan leaders and Aztec emperors, claimed to be descended from the Toltecs.

The Toltecs sported the familiar ball game played by many central American cultures and may have sacrificed of the losers. Toltecs are known for their somewhat rougher form of architecture, a form that would later inspire the Aztec builders. Toltec art is characterized by walls covered with snakes and skulls, images of a reclining Chac-mool (red jaguar), and the colossal statues of the Atlantes, men carved from great columns.

Religion and Legend

atlantes.jpg (27598 bytes)
Atlantes statues

Religion in the Toltec Empire was dominated by two major deities. The first, Quetzalcoatl, is shown as a plumed serpent. This deity of learning, culture, philosophy, fertility, holiness and gentility was absorbed from earlier cultures in the area. His rival was Tezcatlipoca, the smoked mirror, known for his warlike nature and tyranny.

The greatest ruler of the Toltecs was Ce Acatl Topiltzin who was renown for being the leader and high priest of Quetzacoatl at the time when Tula and the Empire were established. According to Toltec legend, Tezatlipoca's followers drove Topiltzin and the followers of Quetzalcoatl out of the city around 1000 AD. They fled south, where they were able to defeat the Maya at the city of Chichen Itza, and take it for their own. An interesting twist in Topiltzin's legend is that he vowed to return to Tula from the east in one of his sacred years and take his vengeance. This legend lived all the way to the time of the Aztecs, who attributed the arrival of the Spanish as the return of Topiltzin, an event that they feared greatly.

The Decline

chacmool.jpg (37401 bytes)
Chac-mool (red jaguar)

The Toltec Empire lasted until the 12th century, when it was destroyed by the Chitimecs and other attacking groups. The Toltec people were absorbed by the conquerors and in the south they became assimilated with the Maya, subordinates to the people they once conquered. After the fall of the Toltecs, central Mexico fell into a period of chaos and warfare without any single ruling group for the next 200 years, when the Aztecs gained control.

References

Hooker, Richard. "The Toltecs." Civilizations in America, 1996.
Quetzalcoatl. Quetzal Computational Associates, Inc., 1996.
Mexico City Sites. Go2, the Mexico City Travel Guide,.1997.
Toltec, Microsoft Encarta, 1996.

You need to be a member of Ashtar Command - Spiritual Community to add comments!

Join Ashtar Command - Spiritual Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Don Miguel Ruiz was born into a family of healers, and raised in rural Mexico by a curandera (healer) mother and a nagual (shaman) grandfather. Although the family anticipated that Ruiz would embrace their centuries-old legacy of healing and teaching, Ruiz chose to attend medical school and become a surgeon. However, a near-death experience in the early 70s changed his life. Stunned by this experience, he began an intensive practice of self-inquiry; devoting himself to the mastery of the ancient ancestral wisdom. Ruiz, a nagual from the Eagle Knight lineage, is dedicated to sharing his knowledge of the teachings of the ancient Toltec. For more than a decade, he has worked to impart this wisdom to his students through book and audio publications, workshops, and journeys to sacred sites around the world.

More about Don Miguel Ruiz, his work, books, seminars and teachings: http://www.miguelruiz.com/
  • Thank You very much,Cole,for information!There are some strong channelers out there,who have been influenced and recieved knowledge from toltecs....I came across it and it's quiet powerfull...I will try to find a sources for You...
  • I have done much research on the ways of the Toltec’s and their religion if you can call it that and read many books. I am under the impression that there may have been two Toltec societies one much older and more peaceful that existed thousands of years earlier as much of the Mayan temples are built on ancient Toltec sites and the Toltec sites are built on older Toltec sites and so on. What is important to me is their abilities. From what I understand it is reported the masters could appear and disappear at will, later they would use these mind control techniques to concur after they lost control of the weather patterns the civilization fell due to infighting. This lasted until the savage Azteq came and were so savage and not spiritual that these mind games had no affect on them. What might be familiar to most people is the tradition of these people ascension into manhood. At 12yrs old they would allow young men to initiate by taking peyote, or overdosing on peyote. If they could withstand that they would ascend into manhood. But there was a training program called the walk that you could take and some would walk and never choose to try the initiation process. I ask myself what does that mean? From what I understand it is very much like the tradition of the atlantean masters. Atlanteans masters had to achieve and maintain oneness that spiritual level opens up all kinds of abilities and knowledge. In trying to ascend the separate self when in deep meditation if not overcome you would be infected with devilish attachments in the astral plane. For Toltec’s they kind of shortcut this process by forcing you to deal with you separate selfish self by requiring you to take peyote to ascend. So that right before you ascend you meet your selfish separate self which is the devil (actually just your non oneness self a powerful side of you that is tied to lower frequencies and the pleasure it brings), who is keeping us from achieving ascension and obtaining oneness, if you concur that you ascend if not you may go mad because the evil spirits attack you and your mind spins out of control. For modern admirers of the Toltec practices no drugs are taken and there is no risk of going mad, you just fall back down to where the rest of us are. The thing I like about the initiation process, is the preparation process, it is enough to open your consciousness as they walk in a gaze that causes the dream world to combine in the day and night. They have spiritual walks where you gaze for months at a time in preparation for the final challenge. Why? Because you have to learn to control your dreams because in your dreams are all the un-dealt with phenomena of your life. Control that and you are ready to meet the most devilish part of yourself that is the person you must concur in order to meet god, the dual nature of self will be gone. If you ever try to do this minus the peyote part you will never see life the same way, this is the way to ascension. Because to be able combine astral night dreaming with the same frequency during the day is to open the pineal gland which will change your perspective on what is possible with the human mind forever.
This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

Spiritual Healer posted a discussion in Ancient Civilizations
Forget about Sumeria being the cradle of civilization, and forget about the Out of Africa theory -…
Jul 17, 2013
LOISI replied to 08f8gkf0qnvr0's discussion Newgrange Ireland in Ancient Civilizations
"Archeologists have made a connection between Newgrange in Ireland and Barclodiad y Gawres on…"
Dec 19, 2012
Universal replied to Sunrise's discussion The Galactic Federation of Worlds in Ancient Civilizations
"Thanks for sharing.I figured out my dream that i had 4 years ago.There were battles between UFO and…"
Nov 18, 2012
ManyNations posted a discussion in Ancient Civilizations
Lost Cave City in the Grand Canyon? Did an ancient civilization live in caves below the Grand…
Oct 30, 2012
Drome posted a discussion in Ancient Civilizations
  An ancient megalithic structure shaped like a ship in Sweden seems to have a similar geometry to…
Apr 20, 2012
08f8gkf0qnvr0 posted a discussion in Ancient Civilizations
The people that built this passage tomb were highly advanced around 3200BC the Sun shines into the…
Apr 18, 2012
Star Rider replied to Sunrise's discussion Hyperborea in Ancient Civilizations
"Hybornea was also the name of first Galactic 5D human civilization 2 million years ago"
Apr 3, 2012
kalopsia replied to Sunrise's discussion The Celts in Ancient Civilizations
"thank you so much for this information. i will keep on reading, before this imbolc i was reading up…"
Feb 5, 2012
More…