1,100-year-old Mayan ruins found in North Georgia

By David Ferguson
Thursday, December 22, 2011

6b6c5fd156c5fc5eded5881435627e49.jpgArchaeologists have discovered the ruins of an ancient Mayan city in the mountains of North Georgia believed to be at least 1,100 years old. According to Richard Thornton at Examiner.com, the ruins are reportedly what remains of a city built by Mayans fleeing wars, volcanic eruptions, droughts and famine.

In 1999, University of Georgia archeologist Mark Williams led an expedition to investigate the Kenimer Mound, a large, five-sided pyramid built in approximately 900 A.D. in the foothills of Georgia’s tallest mountain, Brasstown Bald. Many local residents has assumed for years that the pyramid was just another wooded hill, but in fact it was a structure built on an existing hill in a method common to Mayans living in Central America as well as to Southeastern Native American tribes.

Speculation has abounded for years as to what could have happened to the people who lived in the great Meso-American societies of the first century. Some historians believed that they simply died out in plagues and food shortages, but others have long speculated about the possibility of mass migration to other regions.

When evidence began to turn up of Mayan connections to the Georgia site, South African archeologist Johannes Loubser brought teams to the site who took soil samples and analyzed pottery shards which dated the site and indicated that it had been inhabited for many decades approximately 1000 years ago. The people who settled there were known as Itza Maya, a word that carried over into the Cherokee language of the region.

The city that is being uncovered there is believed to have been called Yupaha, which Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto searched for unsuccessfully in 1540. So far, archeologists have unearthed “at least 154 stone masonry walls for agricultural terraces, plus evidence of a sophisticated irrigation system and ruins of several other stone structures.” Much more may still be hidden underground.

The find is particularly relevant in that it establishes specific links between the culture of Southeastern Native Americans and ancient Mayans. According to Thornton, it may be the “most important archeological discovery in recent times.”

UPDATE: Raw Story contacted another UGA Scientist, Dr. B. T. Thomas of the Department of Environmental Science, who indicated that, while it is unlikely that the Mayan people migrated en masse from Central America to settle in what is now the United States, he refused to characterize Thornton’s conclusions as “wrong,” stating that it is entirely possible that some Mayans and their descendants migrated north, bringing Mayan building and agricultural techniques to the Southeastern U.S. as they integrated with the existing indigenous people there.

David Ferguson
David Ferguson is a writer and radio producer living in Athens, Georgia. He hosts two shows for Georgia Public Broadcasting and has blogged at Firedoglake.com and elsewhere. He is currently working on a book.

Source: Rawstory.com

You need to be a member of Ashtar Command - Spiritual Community to add comments!

Join Ashtar Command - Spiritual Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I love this could we have a pin point where about this place is on Google Earth ?

Do you have any pictures ? measure of the mould ?

Does X-Ray of the ground have been done ?

thanks for all.

This reply was deleted.

Recent Activity

Spiritual Healer posted a discussion in Ancient Civilizations
Forget about Sumeria being the cradle of civilization, and forget about the Out of Africa theory -…
Jul 17, 2013
LOISI replied to 08f8gkf0qnvr0's discussion Newgrange Ireland in Ancient Civilizations
"Archeologists have made a connection between Newgrange in Ireland and Barclodiad y Gawres on…"
Dec 19, 2012
Universal replied to Sunrise's discussion The Galactic Federation of Worlds in Ancient Civilizations
"Thanks for sharing.I figured out my dream that i had 4 years ago.There were battles between UFO and…"
Nov 18, 2012
ManyNations posted a discussion in Ancient Civilizations
Lost Cave City in the Grand Canyon? Did an ancient civilization live in caves below the Grand…
Oct 30, 2012
Drome posted a discussion in Ancient Civilizations
  An ancient megalithic structure shaped like a ship in Sweden seems to have a similar geometry to…
Apr 20, 2012
08f8gkf0qnvr0 posted a discussion in Ancient Civilizations
The people that built this passage tomb were highly advanced around 3200BC the Sun shines into the…
Apr 18, 2012
Star Rider replied to Sunrise's discussion Hyperborea in Ancient Civilizations
"Hybornea was also the name of first Galactic 5D human civilization 2 million years ago"
Apr 3, 2012
kalopsia replied to Sunrise's discussion The Celts in Ancient Civilizations
"thank you so much for this information. i will keep on reading, before this imbolc i was reading up…"
Feb 5, 2012
More…