NOVEMBER 22, 2014

College student intentionally becomes homeless, lives off campus freebies
Homeless.jpg
Patton Chambers may be the only college student who actively blogs about his underwear and ingrown toenails—all the while being homeless.
A senior at Auburn University, Chambers decided to forgo living in his apartment in order to experience the “homeless” lifestyle for the remainder of his college career. According to the 23-year-old, without the stress of working, homelessness has been the best decision he could have made. 

“What could I do that would eliminate having to work, would open up big opportunities, and be a really fun, interesting experience for me?” Chambers askedCampus Reform in an interview last week. The physical education major had just finished a run at the campus recreation center and was headed to class.
For Chambers, the decision to become homeless wasn’t necessarily a financial one—although he says he appreciates no longer being burdened by rent—but more of a personal experiment. When Chambers lived in his apartment, he rarely left. He says he is too “awkward” for college parties and didn’t do much dating before he gave up his permanent residency.
So Chambers wanted to “start fresh.” He wanted to leave his comfort zone and do things he’s never done before. And he also wanted to quit his job in the fast food industry.
“One of the reasons [to become homeless] was to get out of working,” Chambers told Campus Reform. “It was just stressful night after stressful night, and anytime I’m getting any kind of unnecessary stress put upon me, it’s total bull crap, and I don’t feel the need to put myself through that because it’s not necessary because if I don’t need stress, why am I having stress?”
“And that’s the big thing,” he said. “All I was really working for was money to pay for rent. Honestly, I would rather be homeless and not have to work. That would be a better life.”
Chambers said for years he worked at Chick-fil-a, and while he could take home as much chicken as he wanted each night, he was never on the same page as his coworkers.
Yet since becoming homeless—or “pansy homeless” as he calls his technology-filled lifestyle—Chambers has met more people, and unlike before, he works to establish deeper relationships with the people he comes into contact with whom he can engage in “quality” conversations.
“I figured the homeless thing, if anything, it would help my dating situation because if not anything else, it’s an icebreaker,” Chambers said, laughing. “Now I have better opportunities to make something happen.”
Of course, Chamber’s experiences have drastically changed, but he’s found that more change doesn’t always mean more challenge.
“For the most part, the university’s got dang good facilities everywhere you look,” he said. “People don’t really take advantage of them, they don’t really appreciate them, I don’t feel like, but they’re everywhere.”
From Sunday night to Friday afternoon, a corner of Auburn’s library transforms into Chamber’s bedroom. The library is open 24 hours during the week, and so far, the security guard hasn’t evicted the student. On the weekends, Chambers sleeps in a tent in the woods near campus.

You need to be a member of Ashtar Command - Spiritual Community to add comments!

Join Ashtar Command - Spiritual Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nothing parasitic about this description.  He is working his way toward something.  Pay attention and see if he doesn't arrive at a disconnect from an unravelling paradigm and a re-connect to a new way of living life that uplifts many.

• Yes, I understand... that is his perspective. If he wants to call a sacred soul that, then that is his choice. I just wanted to make it clear that the original article didn't use those words.
    <3
  • A student about to graduate from a major U.S. university with a bachelors degree in physical education is not someone who is "vulnerable."

• Sylvain: think about definition #2:

parasite (ˈpærəˌsaɪt)

n
    1. (Biology) an animal or plant that lives in or on another (the host) from which it obtains nourishment. The host does not benefit from the association and is often harmed by it
    2. a person who habitually lives at the expense of others; sponger
    3. (formerly) a sycophant
  • SEMILE: please note definition #2:

parasite (ˈpærəˌsaɪt)

n
    1. (Biology) an animal or plant that lives in or on another (the host) from which it obtains nourishment. The host does not benefit from the association and is often harmed by it
    I take care of the homeless 36 hours a week at a charity hospital, so please chill out with your passing of judgement.  This is about a student about to graduate from a major university, not a homeless veteran suffering with PTSD from shooting innocent populations in Afghanistan.
  • A very interesting story here...thanks for sharing Malcolm.

Did you write the title for this article, Malcolm?...Because the title doesn't seem to match the story here. It is basically saying that this guy has found a much more relaxing and fulfilling way of life by consciously choosing to stop working at an unpleasant workplace and experiment with living without having a house/apartment of his own. It doesn't say that he found it financially rewarding, other than he just doesn't have to pay for rent any more. You can see his reward on his face... he has found a lifestyle that he is much happier with. I agree that this is definitely not for everyone, but it just shows that one doesn't need a house to be happy.

Blessings All Around...
    • Tally: please see definition #2:

parasite (ˈpærəˌsaɪt)

n
      • There's nothing in the article that says he's being financially rewarded in any way, that i can find. His tuition is paid to go to school there and use their facilities. I looked up the original title of the article and it doesn't use the words "parasite", or "financially rewarding".
  • This may work out fine for some people, but for many others who are not able to handle it or live in very cold climates then homelessness can be a kind of hell.  Many people are homeless even though they have jobs and it's a choice they make gladly, but for others who are forced by circumstances into that situation, then it can be a poor balance between life, death and misery.  It's never a one size fits all type deal. For those who are mentally ill and become homeless, then they usually don't get better.  having said that, it is because we have moved away from our roots into soulless cities that we even feel homeless. A Bushman in Australia is not homeless. He is at home where ever he is. The American Indian tribes used to be the same way. We believe we own the land, but instead it owns us. Whatever it is we purchase that requires our energy and upkeep or our time to complete it in a sense owns us until we either sell, discard or master it.

• The only problem with being a parasite is that if the body that's nurturing you gets sick and dies, you'll get sick and die with it. ;)

This reply was deleted.

Sananda, One Who Serves and Shoshanna - THE GREAT AWAKENING IS NOW COMING TO A CONCLUSION via James McConnell

ANCIENT AWAKENINGS Sunday Call 3/27/2022 (Sananda, OWS, & Shoshanna)James & JoAnna McConnell THE GREAT AWAKENING IS NOW COMING TO A CONCLUSION Sananda and One Who Serves channeled by James McConnellShoshanna – Joanna’s Higher Self These messages…

Read more…
0 Replies
Views: 1528

Ashtar, One Who Serves and Shoshanna - YOU ARE CREATING YOUR NEW REALITY via James McConnell

ANCIENT AWAKENINGS  Sunday Call 3/20/2022 (Ashtar, OWS, & Shoshanna)James & JoAnna McConnell YOU ARE CREATING YOUR NEW REALITY Ashtar and One Who Serves channeled by James McConnellShoshanna – Joanna’s Higher Self These messages were given during…

Read more…
0 Replies
Views: 738

Copyright Policy: Always Include 30-50% of the source material and a link to the original article. You may not post, modify, distribute, or reproduce in any way any copyrighted material, trademarks, or other proprietary information belonging to others without obtaining the prior written consent of the owner of such proprietary rights. If you believe that someone's work has been copied and posted on Ashtar Command in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please Contact Us and include the links to these pages and relevant info. 

Latest Activity

Justin89636 replied to Justin89636's discussion Anything health related
"Getting into some great benefits we get from being out in the Sun in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYP-VTctWq4"
3 hours ago
Justin89636 left a comment on Comment Wall
"Gonna go get some sun after this video :) Great benefits from the Sun talked about here. https://youtu.be/uYP-VTctWq4?si=km5IHGzwKRXodJT9"
3 hours ago
"Dr. Berg gets into the truth of what is really in plant based meat in this video. No thank you to plant based crap. Real meat is better. https://youtu.be/CeGlTGWtVnM?si=Oxa19iG_N4jq3L6r"
3 hours ago
"Dr. Berg gets into the truth of what is really in plant based meat in this video. No thank you to plant based crap. Real meat is better. https://youtu.be/CeGlTGWtVnM?si=poD0UcNtZ8cHdnPw"
3 hours ago
"Trudeau is another Dark Cabal turd that needs to go away. https://youtu.be/U9q1EAyAx_4?si=tFXfWhMuBJlrmE8p"
4 hours ago
"A good top 10 list of keto foods from Dr. Westman. https://youtu.be/ZtnMYhLga84?si=YdeZ--3UzyOb_Tov"
4 hours ago
"A good top 10 list of keto foods from Dr. Westman. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtnMYhLga84"
4 hours ago
Drekx Omega replied to Justin89636's discussion Anything health related
"Amazing speech in the UK Parliament, by Andrew Bridgen MP, anent covid vaccine harms on the population....This is his latest speech, which was so hard-hitting, it caused the public gallery to erupt into screams of support and cheers...

Dr John…"
5 hours ago
More…